8 steps for an effective social media marketing plan
Developing a social media marketing plan can be an easy or difficult process.
You could follow the "post and pray" tactic, which may give you some results, but will not help you make the most of social networking opportunities. Or you could follow the steps we suggest below.
If you are a blogger or influencer with plenty of imagination, 3 steps may be enough for an effective social media marketing plan. What are these;
- Notice: What's going on today?
- Think: What are my goals?
- Plan: What path will I take to achieve my goals?
If you have a business or a brand that you are trying to promote, things are not so simple.
What's the difference;
The difference lies in the professionalism you want to present, your competition and the results you want from developing your digital marketing plan.
In the above case, in order to build an effective social media marketing plan, you need to dig a little further. We will analyze the steps to follow. At first, let's see what social media is.
What are social media?
Social media are applications that facilitate the creation and exchange of information, ideas, interests and other forms of expression through virtual communities and networks.
Some of the most popular social media sites, with over 100 million registered users, include Facebook (and the associated with Facebook, Messenger), YouTube, WeChat, Instagram, QQ, QZone, Weibo, Twitter, Tumblr, Telegram, Baidu Tieba, LinkedIn, LINE, Snapchat, Pinterest, Viber and VK, Reddit and more.
On which social media channel should I develop my marketing plan?
With all of the above social networks, which channel should I choose to develop my marketing plan? We will try to answer this question in our next articles.
For now, I have some tips for you:
- Look at any social media and think about which can be most effective for your business.
- Choose to focus your efforts on whatever social media you will be able to really engage with.
- Before proceeding to the selection of social media, develop the marketing plan that you will follow.
- Do not sacrifice the quality of posts to get quantity.
- Follow a well thought out and consistent pattern for all of your posts.
- Make sure that the template you choose for your posts matches the overall picture your business presents.
- Create new posts frequently and regularly.
- Don't despair! Social networks take time and patience to produce results.
8 steps to an effective social media marketing plan
STEP 1: Define your goals
Opening a social media account and starting posting because it's easy and everyone is doing it, won't help. Besides, your profile and your posts are about the image your business will present on the internet.
Every successful marketing plan has clear and defined business goals from the beginning of its creation.
What can be such goals?
- Promote your brand
- Awareness of your services
- Increase traffic to your website
- Increase your sales
- After-sales services
STEP 2: Choose SMART goals
Make sure the goals you set are SMART. SMART, are goals that are:
STEP 3: Understand your audience
Your business is not about you. It is about the audience you intend to serve. Try to understand your audience by segmenting it based on:
STEP 4: Analyze your competition
Analyzing your competition can help you in a variety of ways. Which social media to choose from to implement your social media marketing plan, what your audience is, what your goals should be, etc.
The objects to focus on when analyzing a competitor's profile on social media are:
- Which and how many followers he has
- The frequency of posts
- The day and time of posting
- Type of content (text, image, video, etc)
- Content of posts (style, color, duration, extent, etc.)
- Engagement metrics (views, likes, shares, etc.)
STEP 5: Develop a content strategy
Developing a content strategy for your posts will allow you to be consistent in your posts and help you find the topic that your posts will have.
Different types of content for the strategy you choose may be:
- Posts in a blog
- Frequent questions
- Webinars (webcasts, meetings, seminars, etc.)
- Slides - Powerpoints
- Case studies
- Shopping guides
STEP 6: List the required resources
Make a detailed list of all the resources you will need to develop the content of your posts.
- Time to research, create and publish each post
- Design of images, infographics, GIFs, videos, etc.
- Time to learn and/or use tools like Google Analytics, Facebook Metrics, etc.
- Money you will have to spend on implementing your social media marketing plan
STEP 7: Distribute the tasks
If possible, share the different actions with your coworkers or employees. In this way, you can simplify the process and get the best results from your efforts.
STEP 8: Keep track of the results of your efforts
Track and record the results of your efforts. If possible, write down everything relevant to your post. The day, time, content, style of post, and the results: How many likes and shares did your post get? How many users saw it? How many clicked on the link and visited your website?
If you gather details of each of your posts and their impact, you can collect statistics to help you with your future posts.
Summarizing for social media marketing plan
Creating and executing a social media marketing plan is not an easy process nor should it be encountered lightly. However, if you have in mind or, better yet, if you record the steps we've presented and apply them in action, you can simplify the process.
In short, the 8 steps to an effective social network marketing plan are:
- STEP 1: Define your goals
- STEP 2: Choose SMART Goals
- STEP 3: Understand your audience
- STEP 4: Analyze your competition
- STEP 5: Develop a content strategy
- STEP 6: List the required resources
- STEP 7: Distribute the tasks
- STEP 8: Monitor the results
If all of the above seems complicated or requires more time than you can spend, Cloud O.E. having many years of experience in implementing successful digital marketing strategies in websites and eCommerces can help you achieve your goals. You just have to contact us.